Wednesday, January 12, 2011

To flash or not to flash.....


#34 athens
Originally uploaded by Louis Q
Man, I remember just last year I was shooting in the Athens HS gym at like f/2.2-2.8 and 1/640 ISO 1250 and getting nice shots. Last night without flash all i could muster was f/1.8 1/320 at ISO 1600. Have the lights gone out at Athens or what ? The bulbs have def. lost power over the last year. I HATE flash for sports but some times it is what it is...I thought Waverly HS gym was atrocious for their lighting. The Athens gym may be right up there with them, however, Athens is decieving because it is so brightly painted and open. I was able to bounce flash off the ceiling however at 1/2 power to try and reduce the ugly effects and red eye so common with direct on flash. The WB is another story as well. I love a challenge..If anyone has tips or techniques on using flash in HS gyms...please share. I typically use my 85mm 1.8 lens for indoor basketball or volleyball. Thank God I am shooting Sayre at home tonight with their nice new bright lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment